Hamlets - Little Newsham
A hamlet to the north of Winston village, maybe of Saxon origin, located bcause of its pure springs one of which still supplies drinking water.
Newsham Hall was built about 1600 and extended and modernised in Georgian times about 1790. The private chapel was built in 1876 by Thomas Hustler of Acklam Hall, Middlesbrough for his son-in-law the Rev. Beaumont who lived in the Hall. After his death in 1888 services were conducted by the rectors of Winston.
Some farm buildings and cottages were built by Hustler in the 1850s, all of red brick and sadly not of the vernacular stone. Bricks and building staff travelled from Acklam to Winston Station by the very new railway. The buildings were copies of houses on the Hustler’s estate at Acklam where all buildings were of red brick.
The blacksmith's shop which had not been used since the 1890s was re-opened in 1976 and extended in 1993. It produces wrought iron work of the highest order.
The whole hamlet is a conservation area with mostly listed buildings.
If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us.