Winston is a village of some 400 people situated in County Durham, a few miles to the west of Darlington.
It stands on the ridge of a hill overlooking the River Tees. Originally a Saxon settlement, after the Norman Conquest it became an estate village owned by the Nevilles of Raby. It later passed to the Duke of Bridgewater, who was an absentee landlord. The estate was then inherited by Lord Brownlow and after his death in 1923 it was sold off to sitting tenants. The cottages and horse chestnut trees at the lower end of the village date back to the estate period. St Andrew’s Church has been in existence since 1254. Winston Bridge over the River Tees was opened in 1764, replacing an earlier ford. It featured in a film in the 1980’s when a Spitfire was flown underneath the arch. The Village Hall opened in 1955 and was built by volunteer labour. The village Primary School closed in 1959 and was later transformed into the Bridgewater Arms. The décor in the bar recalls the history of the school in the early 1950's
Click here to read about the hamlets within the Parish of Winston.
If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us.